Sunday, October 11, 2009

Stroke Changes a Person

A stroke changes a person.  There's no doubt about that!  So who was I before my 2/23/07 hemmoragic stroke?  Here is a thumbnail sketch:  7th grade math teacher and department chair most of whose leisure time was occupied with physical activity.  I was a gym junkie. Hitting free weights and intense cardio training 5 days/week.  I was able to bench press my body weight. I was an avid cross country skier in the winter, a hiker & mountain biker in the summer.  I was strong and loved it!  That all changed when I became left-side hemeplegic from my stroke.  

1 comment:

  1. Marian, I commend you on your determination to not let stroke defeat you. Your blog is awesome!

    My husband had an ischemic stroke on Feb. 23, 2008, exactly one year after yours. Just reading your posts has helped me to understand a little more of what he's struggling with. The catheter is definitely of the devil as you said. That was the worst part for him too.

    Please keep writing about your experiences, because you are encouraging others going through the same thing. I, too, have started a blog recounting my husband's ordeal and stroke recovery at http://www.StrokeSurvivor Blog.com

    My best to you as you continue on your recovery journey.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete